Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I think I'm channelling Jane, Louisa May, or at least one of the Brontes

Ok you know the story, a bunch of poor sisters have no inheritance and must strike it rich with by attracting the right husband, and what always happens...one of the sisters gets sick, we all think she's not going to make it, there may be an eloquent speech by one of the other sisters, and of course then the handsome (and wealthy) suitor shows up with the doctor, or mother, or whoever has the magic touch and sister pulls through. So last week my hubby goes out of town, and I go to Utah to visit my family, and what do you know, I have a cold, with a cough, a really bad cough, then I have a fever for days, then I wake up one morning and I swear there is a fat kid sitting on my chest and I can't breath. My mom takes me to the emergency room, and I find out its not an invisible fat kid, its pneumonia. PNEUMONIA! What is that all about? Don't they know, I'm a mom with a very busy boy, who doesn't grant me sick days? It doesn't matter I am sick and it is out of my control. I hate when things are out of my control. The doctor does however ride in on his white horse, not with my wealthy suitor, but medication...thank heaven for antibiotics, and I am sent on my merry way. My fabulous suitor who am I lucky enough to already be married to does arrive to comfort me as soon as he can, and my wonderful family really stepped up to take care of Bugaboo, but I have been flat on my back for about a week and a half now. I am finally starting to feel a little bit better, but it has been a slow process. Even now I can only do a few things before I am tired and shaky. I feel like a Jane Austen sister who has come through her illness, but now has to slowly convalesce out on the veranda with a quilt and a parasol, listening to someone play the piano forte. Its sounds lovely at first, but seriously I've got stuff to do, oh well...sister will you straighten my quilt I think I feel a bit of a draft?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you've come down with the "fat kid on the chest" disease. Enjoy all the blanket straightening that you can and get well soon.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for the sickness. But at least it sounds like you're coming back from the valley of the shadow.

Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling better. Is pneumonia the same as "consumption" ? And did you use a poultice? Or drink something hot made with brandy?

Anonymous said...

What a hilarious and fun way to write about your plague. Hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better...and I must say, after a weekend with Mr. Darcy and Colonel Brandon, I feel better too!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. Nothing worse than a sick mommy. :( Cyberhugs!