Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Our Little Engineer

Like many of you out there, a few years ago I was touched when I read The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch. There is one part of the book where he talks about how his parents let him do things like draw a rocket ship on his bedroom wall, and often when my children request a messy/time consuming/inconvenient project I think of this book and want to be a better mom.

So this summer our washer died. I wasn't too sad about this because I'd been hoping for a new one for some time, but I was surprised when as we were sitting outside enjoying the summer weather, and talking about the broken washer, Mason got a twinkle in his eye and said, "Can I take it apart?"

Of course my the initial response that almost made it out of my lips was an incredulous, No you can't take my washer apart, but then I thought of Mr. Pausch and his mother and said, "Ok."

Shane and I waited patiently outside to see what would happen. A few minutes later an excited Mason came out.

"I'm gonna need some tools," he informed us.

And then it was Shane's turn to be the cool parent. I bin of screwdrivers, wrenches, and wire cutter was produced and then Mason was off to work.

He ended up spending about two days in my laundry room steadily working on deconstructing my washer AND dryer (it was on its way out too). He had such a good time, it was really worth a little extra mess, and the perfect end to our a decade old washer and dryer.


 

 

No comments: